Sunday, July 22, 2007

so much more


...has happened in the past month or so. Lillian grabbed her sidewalk chalk one evening and started making drawings--actual representational ones. She now makes stick people, spiders, dogs, house, and trees!! She will sometimes do this with paper, but seems to prefer the medium of sidewalk chalk on the driveway. ---Mom and dad can only preserve these with the camera. I will post the original drawing here.


She started using the potty in April, but mastered #2 this week after much encouragement. She even wakes up dry most mornings, but I think going cold turkey would be premature. (speaking as the laundress around here)


We have all been busy. Paco is dismantling one of the 4 pasture fences to begin to expand the look of the back yard and is beginning to talk about starting demolition of the old barn. We are planning on keeping at least 2 of the pastures with the lean-to's and might get chickens and/or goats. We are also planning for a big veggie garden next year.


The gardening and animal plans are fueled by my obsession with becoming a "locavore" family after reading the life-changing book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I have also been teaching myself how to make cheese as well as putting up farmer's market food for the winter. We are all eating and feeling better than we have in awhile. I am making a lot of local contacts with farmer's and finding out how to get the best food for my family.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Was it you who suggested this book? Listen to her talk about it on NPR's Speaking of Faith program. The link is somewhere on our blog. I was inspired too.

Katherine Gray said...

Just found your blog via Squidoo. We're also a family trying to eat more locally. Soon we'll have chickens! My gardening efforts this year, however, have been meager. Any suggestions for good food gardening books? Also have Kingsolver's book on my nightstand, but I'm finishing up Plenty first.

Great to find you!