Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A New Year, A New Look







to kick off a new year both La Scala and Lily got new looks. Lily insisted she wanted her next haircut to be very short and have her "ears out." Paco took her to his Mexican stylist and she has the world's cutest pixie cut. She looks fantastic and is thrilled to have hair so short she looks good just messing it up with her hand every morning. I am very proud of her for bucking the pressure to have long locks like most girls. She has the kind of fine features that pulls this look off great.
Paco spent the entire La Scala hiatus repainting the main dining room, the bathrooms, and the stairs at La Scala. It was the biggest bang we could make for the smallest buck and it looks amazing. It is a rich, deep terracotta, with white trim and brown accents. I called artist Bill Cross. His giant abstract canvases graced our walls for years until he moved away. I heard he was back and he is thrilled to reinstall his work this weekend. Yeah!! La Scala will look better than it ever has.
We had a wonderful Christmas both here and in NH. It was so wonderful to spend the holiday with our family. Lillian played with her cousins every day until she passed out practically. Paco relaxed in a way I did not think he was capable of. I had a great and relaxing time myself relieved of many of my mother/wife chores.
The week was complicated by the fact that I was convinced the very suspicious mole surgically removed form my leg just one day before we left for NH was indeed a malignant melanoma. Dr. Thomas said maybe, but the surgeon was convinced. I did not want to taint Christmas for my family and Paco and I decided we would wait to tell them until we got results on the 26th. No results until the 29th, so we told them on Sunday the 28th. This way I would not break the bad news and then hop on a plane. But, before we lift we got the good news that it was benign on Monday morning. I could finally exhale.
Now we are home in back in our routine. Lillian is happily back at school, we are back in Yoga Together and she starts tap today. La Scala reopened yesterday and although business is not mind-blowing, it is not horrible. I am running knitting club once a week to meet the demand and making some good friends. I am going to a local gym to take a class call BodyFlow with my friend Suni. It is yoga, pilates, and cardio all in one. I am amazed, knock on wood, that it is mid-january now and I am hanging in there without any major health crisis yet.

1 comment:

james said...

La Scala looks awesome! Paco did a great job. Lily's pixie is too cute. Glad the mole was benign.